UV LED Curing of Fiber Optic Coating
Optical fiber manufacturing processes include the addition of a polymer layer to the glass fiber to provide protection,
flexibility and strength. Current processes use high-intensity UV arc lamp or microwave excited UV lamp systems to cure liquid fiber coatings. These UV
lamps suffer from disadvantages such as low efficiency in producing UV light, high maintenance costs, limited lifetime and environmental concerns.
Click below to start your download.
» View UV Curing of Fiber Optic Coating (PDF)
UV LED systems provide a compelling alternative or a complement to current UV arc lamp-based curing systems in fiber optic manufacturing processes.
UV LED curing systems are widely deployed in the electronics, optics, and medical device industries, where they are valued for high efficiency, long lifetime,
and low cost of operation compared to UV arc lamp systems. OmniCure® AC Series UV LED systems provide the further advantage of customized front-end optics which
produce a high irradiance, highly focused beam (line) of light from the LED to optimize the efficiency of the curing by maximizing the UV energy onto the very
thin strand of fiber. Learn more about the OmniCure AC8225-F+/AC9225-F UV LED Fiber Curing system and how it will enhance your UV curing process
Learn how a fiber curing process can highly benefit from the use of an OmniCure UV LED system with custom focusing lens that can deliver high-irradiance UV
light for fast curing of fiber optic coating materials.
Interested in Reducing Costs?
Calculate your cost savings when using an OmniCure® UV LED curing system for your fiber curing process with the “Fiber Curing Cost Savings Calculator”.
Benefits of UV LED Curing Systems:
The OmniCure UV LED curing system offers many benefits for fiber optic manufacturing including:
- Reduced electrical costs. The inherent efficiency of UV LED systems result in reduced electricity costs of 30-60% depending on the application.
- Higher manufacturing uptime. UV LED systems do not require ballast replacement and have operational life times more than twice that of lamp-based systems, resulting in increased manufacturing uptime.
- Reduced equipment replacement costs. Long LED lifetime, no ballast, and elimination of external reflectors reduce equipment replacement costs.
- Simplified environmental qualification. The OmniCure AC8225-F/AC8225-F+ UV LED curing system does not generate any light below 200 nm, therefore produces no ozone, so filtering and venting is not required. This simplifies qualification for the stringent environmental standards and reduces the cost of installation.
- Ease of installation. The OmniCure AC8225-F/AC8225-F+ UV LED system can easily be installed in existing curing stations and operated with existing manufacturing processes.